Christmas is Like Having Children - The Soapbox Filipina
1. You wait for Christmas. You anticipate its arrival. You wait for it after the ninth -the ninth day novena or the nine months of expectation.
2. Just like you do on Christmas time, you unwrap gifts but this time you unwrap a bundle of joy. You may either tear it open, as quickly as you could or you calmly open it piece by piece, sticky tape, ribbon and all.
3. Just like on Christmas you keep on receiving presents you most likely do not know, what to do. YET later on -maybe few weeks after, you realize, it was carefully thought of just for you and nobody else was bound to have it but you.
The first time my husband and I held our son, we didn’t know what to do. Then later on, we just became experts on things we thought we couldn’t do, all because of our baby.
4. Christmas, just like having children makes you showcase hidden talents. These are those talents best believed to remain hidden or talents you never thought you had. You suddenly sing christmas carols, er, lullabies, off-key or not. And you begin dancing to a beat you have created. (just to rock a screaming baby to sleep)
5. You have daily encounters with different personalities like,
The Sweet Cherub,
The Happy Elf
The Little Drummer Boy,
Jolly St. Nick,
Frosty the Snowman,
and The Grinch.
6. Parenting, just like Christmas will always be determined by the spirits of The Christmas Past, Present and Future .
7. Having children will be like having mistletoes hanging over you all the time. You always get those sweet tiny kisses dripping with love and happiness.
8. Lastly, just like Christmas it will always be about,
A Great Family and A Beautiful Child.
Thank you for children, they bring Christmas in our hearts, everyday ; Thank you to the child Jesus who showed us the meaning of love and happiness.
A Happy Christmas to everyone.
This was a thought I posted on facebook which I now lovingly dedicate to my brother Gierek and my sister-in-law Rubi who oblivious to the other passengers, both sang to my niece -a crying three-month old baby girl- on the plane, enroute to Cagayan de Oro City.
Our baby Alexi Gwyneth’s first Christmas.